round and round

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So.. Band meeting today.

We were all kinda expecting the explanation of why we got a silver, but they didn't reveal anything about that. We spent the whole afternoon sitting there and watching the whole band comp show, with the exception of Yusof Ishak and Springfield.

Well anyway, I believe that a lot of you must have heard about the issue of our band getting 86 and in the end got deducted 10% of the marks because of the tracks. According to the teachers, that was complete bullshit, since CCAB refuses to release the marks over their dead bodies. I have no idea where that number came from or who started it in the first place, but from what I infer, it could be someone making a guess about why we lost out badly. And you know rumours, people add random shit into it and it comes out as a totally different statement.

Sir mentioned that the judges said we were a high silver, but really, who cares? It's still a silver, and we are brandished with the name as a silver band for the next 2 years to come, until we have the chance to prove ourselves worthy.

Personally I feel that this year's band comp is rather...subjective. Not to be discriminating or anything, but as we all know there have been some changes to the panel of judges, and most of them are caucasians. They are more accustomed to the DCI style of marching bands like DMB or maybe TK. I'm not trying to say that they are biased or whatsoever, but that they do not appreciate our local flavour-filled show, and hence rated us low because they simply do not understand what we were trying to convey. However, from my understanding, there are Singaporeans amongst the judges, and I don't see why they cannot explain our theme to the foreigners. That's just the thing that makes me upset.

Bah. I cannot deny the fact that though I accept whatever results we get, I am still unhappy about the silver medal, because it affects me so.

Please don't tell me "Process is more important than the colour of the medal."

I get that point very well, but its exactly why it makes me upset because all our efforts seem to be flushed down the drain just like that by a silver medal. It's like a huge smack on the face.

We know that we did a good job, but do the people outside know? It's human nature to judge a book by its cover, and I'm sure we will not be highly looked upon. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but that's the truth. Life isn't fair.

I'm trying to prove a point here, but I don't know if I'm making any sense at all. =/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home